According to the Oxford Dictionary, robotics is the branch of technology that deals with the design, construction, operation, and application of robots. Robots are simply human-like machines that do what it is that they are programmed to do. The tasks done are usually of a higher quality than the ones that could be undertaken by human beings. This is one of the reasons for the increased interest in the field of robotics over the years. The success that it poses has led to many Robotic Engineers coming up with new and improved forms. To be successful in making and modifying existing robots, some essential features have to be shown by the machine. These are important to make sure that the Artificial Intelligence can pick up commands and be dutifully conducted. The following are some of the fields of Robotics;
- Human-Robot Interface. This is also known as the Operator Interface and is basically the bridge on how the human and the robot communicate. The human has to give commands that are programmed to the robot to conduct. The most applicable example of such is a child playing a video game. The child can communicate or issue commands by using a joystick. The joystick thus acts as the interface between the human and the machine. For a robot to be effective, it is vital to have a medium of communication between it and a human being.
- Robots are usually given tasks to do which require locomotion. For example, human-like robots mimic normal outward anatomy by using legs for motion. Other flying robots and drones make use of the propellers for movement. Some types may even use wheels and fins but this all depends on the environment it is in whether water, air or land. When building a robot, the engineer looks at the type of environment that it will occupy.
- This refers to the component that gives an effect. In simple terms how the robot or which means it will use to do its job. Human-like robots may use mechanized arms and fingers to conduct activities. Other machines might use claws or pushers to interact with objects. This is especially true to industries that need heavy lifting and moving of things.
- This comes to how the message is delivered to the robot on what to do. Commands have to be given to the robots using different ways. There exist over one thousand programming languages and each robot has its own way of interpreting the instructions given. Some robots are actually modified to adapt to changes in their environment.
- Sensing and Perception. This implies how the machines perceive things in the environment and the reactions are given. For instance, what goes on when a robot comes into contact with an obstacle, what directive does it take. This component is taken into consideration when making the robot so that the right choices are made.
To make a functional robot, all the basic fields have to be incorporated into it for maximum effectiveness. This guarantees that it can work at an optimum state with no hitches.